Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Remembering Samuel

Sweet Samuel, I can hardly believe three years have passed since I held you in my arms. The memories of the painful days surrounding your birth are still so vivid, but I want to write out each one for fear of forgetting any moment of your short time with us.

I remember before my ultrasound thinking I might be pregnant with twins since I was showing so much. I remember it was a Wednesday. I remember going to the ultrasound and watching you squirm and wiggle even too much to find out what gender you were. I remember falling even more in love with you as I watched you there.


I remember the concern on the ultrasound technician's face. I remember your daddy by my side reassuring me. I remember the doctor's face and tone when he told us I had to be admitted to the hospital and be seen by a specialist. I remember praying with your daddy that everything would be ok.

I remember the second ultrasound at the hospital with the specialist and he told us you were a boy! He also told us you seemed perfectly healthy, but there was something wrong. I remember having such a hard time knowing that you were perfect, but that you probably wouldn't make it. I remember I kept growing. I remember the nurses coming in and marking the top of my uterus as it grew and I remember the marking being at 38 cm. I remember thinking that would be a full-term marking.

I remember playing cards with your daddy and your uncle Justin and aunt April. I remember being loopy from all the medicine and saying some strange things. I remember not being able to walk very well and feeling like I was going to pop. I remember talking to the doctors and deciding if I didn't have a c-section we would both die. I remember asking the doctor what kind of chances you had for living at 20 weeks and I remember him saying, "one in a million." I remember crying. I remember a pain that I had never felt before. I remember picking out your name, Samuel, with daddy because as Hannah dedicated Samuel to the Lord before he was ever born, we were dedicating you to the Lord. No matter the outcome, we recognized that you were the Lord's.

I remember your Nanny and Bumpa coming down. I remember wondering how I was ever going to sleep knowing that tomorrow was the day... I remember feeling little butterfly movements as I lay there and cherishing every one. I remember your Nanny singing hymns with me as I drifted to sleep.


I remember that morning. I remember it was a Saturday. I remember Dr. Bob praying before the c-section began. I remember your daddy by my side and telling me he thought James would be a good middle name. I remember when they delivered you, watching the pediatric staff standing there with a tray in hopes of you being that one in a million and I remember clinging to that hope with your daddy. I remember the doctor shaking his head no meaning you weren't going to make it.

I remember feeling your heartbeat. I remember your beautiful face. I remember kissing your little forehead and lips. I remember wishing I could look into your eyes. I remember how your arms were just like your daddy's. I remember you were so small and yet so long.


I remember when your heartbeat stopped and realizing you had just stepped foot into heaven.



I remember your Mema and Papa coming to visit you. I remember telling your Mema that you would have been her first grandson and she told me you always will be. I remember hugging her knowing she understood. I remember being comforted that you have a aunt in heaven with you, sweet Beverly.

I remember the little blue hat they put on you and the white knit blanket they wrapped you in.



I remember wishing I could still feel you moving inside me. I remember it not feeling real, that somehow it was all a dream. I remember them telling us to say our goodbyes before they took your body away. I remember saying goodbye, but knew it wasn't goodbye forever.

I remember Iowa State playing OU and Adrian Peterson breaking his collar bone. I remember how my arms ached to hold you. I remembered how empty I felt.

I remember the supernatural peace I had knowing your were with Jesus. I remember longing to be there with you.

I remember at the grave sight a few days later. I remember being surrounded by family and feeling very loved. I remember the message was about David and how when he lost his son after he had been sick a while, he had a peace because he knew he would again go to him someday in heaven. I remember being comforted by this passage knowing I too would see you again. I remember singing "Great is They Faithfulness" and clinging to the thought that our God is faithful and would bring us though.

I miss you my little Samuel and can't wait to see you in heaven. Happy 3rd birthday! I wish I could be with you to celebrate, but I know you have the best company and I can't wait to join you one day soon. I love and miss you my sweet boy.

Love,

Mommy

P.S. Daddy and Bubby send you kisses and hugs and want me to let you know that they love you and miss you lots!

21 comments:

April Nienhuis said...

We love you guys dearly and are praying for you today.

Anonymous said...

I remember that Saturday morning. I had invited the young women from the chapel over to our apt for a time of fellowship w/ Kim Moffit giving a devotion. Shortly into our time together Kim received a phone call from Shawna w/ the news about little Samuel. We all spent the morning together crying and praying for you, your family, and all involved

Brooke said...

Thank you for posting this and allowing us to share in your memory.

I remember hanging out with Layla that day. All day I begged the Lord to save you both. I know His ways are perfect and I don't understand how He can use such great pain for His glory, but I know He does. I don't understand how He chooses to allow one to live and not the other. Someday we will know and understand and rejoice.

I also remember when you came to Chapel that next Sunday carrying Haley (sp?) and everyone freaked out because you weren't supposed to be lifting. It still kinda makes me laugh. :)

I told Sophie this morning that it was Landon's big brother, Samuel's, happy birthday. Several times today she has said Happy birthday Samuel. I promise that she will always know who Samuel is.

Love you so much Marcie.

Rachel said...

I remember that day too - Shawna called me to let me know, because we had been praying. I was at a baby shower for my sister, and as we were passing sweet little boy clothes around, I could hardly keep from sobbing.

So glad you are remembering Samuel this way, Marcie. I'm praying the Lord will hold you close today.

jenica said...

Tears are flowing.
I remember the Lake Country prayer chain going round and round for a couple days - praying continually. You are so dear to all of us.
I will also never forget how thoughtful you were to me when I had a miscarriage.

Praying for you today, Marcie. Love to you, Seth and Landon. Happy birthday Samuel!

Grant and Jodie said...

oh marcie, that was precious. you just provided me with a good cry. your faith is amazing. praying for you my friend.

Marti said...

Thanks for sharing your heart and love with us. Remembering and praying today for all of you.

tsbjf said...

Tears just starting flowing down my cheeks as I read this. Thank you for being so open with all of your thoughts, and everything you went through. It is a pain unlike anything else, and how much harder, knowing that he was perfect. It is comforting to know that he is being loved by God, who is love defined. What a joy it will be for us to meet our missed loved ones when we get to heaven!

Jessie said...

Thank you for sharing your memories of Samuel. I remember hearing the news, crying and then Joe and I began praying for you and Seth.
You are a wonderful example of faith in the Lord.

Anonymous said...

I also have tears streaming down my face. I remember thanking the Lord over and over for sparing your life but feeling unbelievably sad that Samuel died. I remember seeing you for the first time and you looked so frail and white from losing so much blood. You had such a sadness about you that I had never seen before. Yet you trusted and rested in our Father's plan. I love to to pieces my dear sister. You have always been an amazing example to me throughout the years. I am praying for you as always.

Bekah

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you precious Samuel...in heaven...what a wonderful day you must be having with the Lord Jesus right there with you all the other saints by your side...it will be so nice to meet you some day! I can hardly wait!
Love your friend Robin

Liz said...

Marcie,
As I sit here weeping in sadness with you, I rejoice that Samuel is with Jesus today. Thank you for being so honest and sharing your memories here.

Praying for you,
Liz

Cara said...

Such a loving tribute to your dear Samuel. As I read this, I share your grief. Beautifully written, Marcie.

Charity said...

My dear Marcie, thank you for sharing these precious memories of your sweet little Samuel. I vividly remember hearing about the day that he was born and just grieving with you so much. I cling to the hope that we have in knowing that Samuel and our Alethia are enjoying Heaven together and we will see them again one day!

Alan said...

Marcie,

That was beautifully written! We look forward to the day when there will be no more tears, but take comfort in knowing that Jesus has cried too.

We love you!!!
Alan, Lauren, and the girls

Ben and Kristi Graves said...

sweet marcie, i remember that day as well, and how worried we were for both of you. i have tears as i'm writing this, not understanding the why, but so thankful we know WHO has samuel in His loving arms. love you and praying for you!

The Amos Greene Family said...

I'm sorry I'm a day late.....
Hope you are feeling okay today. As I was reading your blog after I read our friends, I noticed you both wrote about the same passage of scripture about Samuel. Their blog is on my blog "Massons".
I think he was born on your Samuel's birthday!
Love you!

katie said...

Marcie, as I read these comments, I realized that I learned about you and Samuel, even though I didn't know you yet, through Kim Moffitt. I was her son's teacher that year and she came into me that day and told me with tears in her eyes what had happened. I remember being so sad for you although I didn't know you and we prayed for you as a class. That's so ironic that I prayed for you even though I didn't know you and now I do!! It's apparent to me how much of an impact little Samuel's short life had on so many people. Thank you so much for sharing your story. You are such a strong woman and an example of courage.

Grace Powell said...

I sobbed as I read your post this morning right after doing chapter 4 in our chapel Bible Study about "the God who Sees". It seemed to speak perfectly to Samuel's short life. I remember I was at Adriel's house praying for you when we heard the news and then feeling so terrible when Elisa was the first one born in the chapel after you lost him. The testimony you and Seth have displayed for the Lord through His work in this loss have been a blessing to me in more ways than I can say. Thank you sweet friend for sharing this with us.

Kari said...

You are all in our prayers. We can't wait to meet Samuel in heaven one day. I know he would have been a beautiful little boy. We love you!

Amelia said...

I remember how much we were praying for you. About to be a mother myself, I cannot even fathom the ache. Nor can I fathom the depths of grace and peace the the Lord would bestow upon one who would go through what you and Seth have.