Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Be careful what you say...

I have had the opportunity to attend BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) for the past couple years and have been greatly blessed by it. If you have one in your area that meets, I strongly recommend going! This year we are studying the book of John. There are so many practical applications and revelations of who Jesus is throughout the book. I wanted to share something that really challenged me last week.

The portion of scripture was John 3:25,26

"An argument developed between some of John’s disciples and a certain Jew over the matter of ceremonial washing. They came to John and said to him, 'Rabbi, that man who was with you on the other side of the Jordan—the one you testified about—well, he is baptizing, and everyone is going to him.'”

There is a portion in the notes that says, "Sometimes a friend's sympathy and suggestions of unjust treatment can be the worst possible thing for us. This can make us feel sorry for ourselves, start a root of bitterness, and even shake our faith in God. Are you such a friend? Do you put thoughts against other people into a friend's mind, thereby sinning and causing them to sin?"

This was so convicting. I need to watch what I say about others and what I agree with in regard to what others say.

Matthew 12:36
"But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken."

2 comments:

Grace Powell said...

thanks for highlighting this Marcie. This is definitely something I need to work on. Perhaps we can help each other in our conversations.

tsbjf said...

Very convicting!